Supporting quality improvement through outpatient rehab and hip fracture data
Date: November 6, 2023
The GTA Rehab Network recently met with Ontario Health Toronto to provide a summary of 2022-23 FY performance on outpatient rehab and hip fracture data, as well as contextual factors influencing the indicators for both.
The Network analyzes organizations’ quarterly data and produces regional reports, which are used to monitor performance, support quality improvement and inform system capacity. At its most recent meeting, the Network reviewed recent performance findings and highlighted issues raised by clinical stakeholders including post-pandemic recovery trends, increasing patient complexity, the lack of a consistent outcome measure used across organizations, no existing mechanisms to support centralized outcome measure reporting, and health human resources challenges affecting wait times.
The information has been well received. The Network is continuing to analyze and track indicators and will meet regularly with respective clinical groups across hospitals to discuss strategies to improve performance relative to quality, patient access and flow.
“The volume trends by referral source reported in this initiative have helped us with system planning and driven change,” notes Nicola Tahair, Regional Director, Toronto West Stroke Network. Going forward, the Network plans to engage additional organizations within the Ontario Health Toronto region to support an even more fulsome understanding of the factors affecting system performance.
Participating Network members:
- Baycrest Health Sciences
- Humber River Health
- Michael Garron Hospital
- North York General Hospital
- Runnymede Healthcare Centre
- Sinai Health System/Hennick Bridgepoint Hospital & Mount Sinai Hospital
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre/Bayview Campus, Holland Centre & St John’s Rehab
- Toronto Grace Health Centre
- Unity Health Toronto/Providence Healthcare, St Michael’s Hospital, St Joseph’s Health Centre
- University Health Network/Altum Health, Toronto Western Hospital & Toronto Rehab
- West Park Healthcare Centre