Updated inpatient rehab referral guideline available
Date: June 1, 2023
To support patient flow and help avoid ALC designation, the Network recently worked with acute care and rehab/CCC partners to update its Referral Guideline for Bedded Levels of Rehabilitative Care.
The guideline outlines essential criteria and timelines for both referral senders and receivers to maximize efficiency and improve patient flow. It complements the efforts of member hospitals, regularly convened by the Network, to review related performance metrics and discuss referral process issues to support consistency and flow.
A library of inpatient rehab/CCC referral resources is also available on the Network’s website, including:
- a Reference Guide for Inpatient Rehab/CCC Referrals, which provides details on completing the inpatient rehab/CCC referral form;
- the GTA Rehab Network Supplemental Referral Information Form, used to provide updates on patients already referred;
- the Network’s Rehab Finder, a searchable database of rehabilitation programs, clinics and services provided by hospitals and Home and Community Care organizations across the Greater Toronto Area;
- the Inter-Organizational Transfer of Accountability (TOA) Guideline, a document created to support safe patient care transitions across organizations and sectors based on six principles; and
- a Discharge Information Checklist outlining key information to be provided at the time of transfer to the next level of care ( hospital or community) to support patient safety and continuity of care.
Additionally, the Hospital Chronic Care Co-Payment: Questions and Answers page on the Ministry of Health’s website also provides helpful information on the chronic care co-payment.
For more information, please contact Sue Balogh, Project Manager.
Participating Network members:
- Baycrest Health Sciences
- Halton Healthcare
- Humber River Hospital
- Lakeridge Health
- Mackenzie Health
- Michael Garron Hospital
- North York General
- Oak Valley Health
- Runnymede Healthcare Centre
- Scarborough Health Network
- Sinai Health System/Hennick Bridgepoint Hospital
- Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre/St. John’s Rehab
- Unity Health Toronto/Providence Healthcare
- University Health Network
- William Osler Health System